Gingerbread people make the perfect house-guests and our recipe for these sweetly spiced delights will make your family smile from ear to ear.
Baking our simple gingerbread recipe is enjoyable in itself, but it’s the decorating that makes miniature gingerbread people a standout family favourite. Challenge the kids to capture the whole family in coloured icing and sprinkles, or decorate with outfits to match the season!
Prep time: 10-15 mins
Serves x : 20
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g brown sugar
- 1 medium sized egg
- 4 dessert spoons of golden syrup
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips and then add the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add this with the golden syrup to the dry mixture. Mix well, kneading the dough briefly until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F), and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 0.5cm (¼ inch) and use the cutters to create your gingerbread people.
- Place carefully onto the baking trays leaving space between the biscuits to allow them to expand slightly.
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown, checking their progress after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully place your gingerbread people onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once they have cooled completely, give them a little personality by decorating them with icing faces and outfits.