We all know the kitchen is the heart of the home, and sharing home-baked treats is a great way to show your family and guests how much you care. Dotty, who you might recognise from our autumn TV adverts, loves to make her signature cheese scones when she’s entertaining friends and family, and has spent years perfecting her recipe which we’re very honoured to share with you now!
Dotty’s Cheese Scones
15 minutes prep
15 minutes cooking time
- 1 lb self-raising flour
- 4 tsps baking powder (level)
- 1-2 tsps mustard powder
- 4 oz fat (Dotty always uses Stork)
- 6 oz finely grated cheese (Dotty recommends freezing old end bits as you go)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pint milk (approx.)
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then add the mustard powder and baking powder.
- Rub the fat in (using your fingertips) until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheese.
- Bring the dough together with egg and milk, adding a little at a time so it doesn’t get too dry or too wet.
- Roll out the dough to an even height of 2cm.
- Use a stamp to cut out your scone shapes, stamping straight down. Don’t twist them!
- Brush an egg and milk mixture over the tops of the scones to glaze.
- Place in a preheated oven at 190 degrees / 180 fan oven / gas mark 5.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown, then remove and allow to cool.
And before you disappear to the fridge to create your own, Dotty has one more piece of wisdom on the topic… Be suspicious of cheese scones with cheese sprinkled on top!
Try your hand at Dotty’s cheese scones with the help of our bakeware here.