With pancake day fast approaching, our pancake pans are rediscovered and our creativity shines. Pancake day is a perfect opportunity to indulge in all things naughty but nice, and to treat friends and family members with a mouthwatering home cooked breakfast. As we practice flipping our pancakes in the run up to the big day, creating the perfect pancake is simple with our delicious recipes suitable for all dietary needs.
Pancake day doesn’t have to be expensive, these perfect pancakes are easy to make with ingredients you probably already have at hand. This recipe can easily be turned into a pancake mix or into buttermilk pancakes as well, making it a versatile all-in-one recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk in the milk, eggs, and melted butter until all ingredients are combined.
- Preheat a pancake pan or frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Ladle 1/4 cup of pancake batter into the pan and leave the pancakes to cook until bubbles form before flipping.
- Cook the other side of the pancake until golden brown and serve hot with your desired toppings.
Savoury Green Pancakes
Really mix things up with more savoury flavour and a hint of hidden healthy bits that turn your pancakes a vibrant green. You can even get creative with the presentation, turning four small pancakes into a lucky clover, or creating a cute dinosaur like we did!
- 100g baby spinach or baby salad leaves
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 275ml milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1–2 tbsp any cooking oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add the leaves, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, salt and a generous helping of pepper to a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Take a large frying pan and add a small amount of oil and place over a low heat.
- Use a ladle to add the pancake mixture to the pan, leaving space for it to spread if you’re cooking more than one at a time.
- Cook for around 2 minutes, or until the pancakes have risen and bubbles appear on the surface. Flip them over and cook the other side for around 1 minute.
- Place your cooked pancake on a warm plate in the oven on a low heat, covered with foil, and follow the same cooking steps for the rest of the batter.
- Serve straight away with a savoury garnish of your choosing (we like cheese or avocado and chilli flakes with ours).
Light and Fluffy Vegan Pancakes with Blueberries and Pumpkin Seeds
Ideal to be topped with fresh fruit, these delicious vegan pancakes are perfect to enjoy for breakfast, whilst also being a healthier alternative with the addition of berries and pumpkin seeds.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 30ml rape seed oil
- 350ml plant based milk
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until the mixture is smooth in consistency.
- Heat a tablespoon of rape seed oil in a pancake pan, being careful not to burn.
- Pour a ladle of batter mixture into the pancake pan and cook the pancakes for 2 minutes on one side until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle your desired quantity of blueberries and pumpkin seeds on to the top of the pancake before you flip, and cook for a further 2 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter mixture, adding additional rape seed oil if needed.
Gluten Free Banana Oat Pancakes
A healthier alternative to normal pancakes, these banana oat pancakes help to include one of your five a day, and are perfect for those who want to enjoy pancake day without overdoing the indulgence.
- 30g powdered oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp honey
- 25ml almond milk
- Coconut oil for your pan
- Pour all ingredients into a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Carefully heat up a little coconut oil into a pancake pan, then ladle in a small amount of mixture and shape into a small round pancake.
- Cook the pancake on each side until golden brown using a spatula to flip.
- Serve hot with your desired toppings.
Whether you are still following your new year’s resolutions of healthier eating, or if you are going to enjoy Pancake day and all the indulgence that comes with it, we hope you enjoy your homemade creations! Don’t forget to share your flipping skills with us by tagging @DunelmUK.