The flavour of a signature summer berry and a signature summer thirst-quencher, in one melt-in-the-mouth cookie? Don’t mind if we do! Treat your tastebuds with this fruity recipe, that will make around 18 individual cookies or 9 cookie sandwiches.
- 250g Plain Flour
- 125g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Grated Lemon Zest
- 1 Medium Egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence or the seeds from half a vanilla pod
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
For the filling
- 300ml Whipping Cream
- Approx. 8 Strawberries
- 3 tbsp Caster Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with some greaseproof paper.
- In a 24cm bowl, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and lemon zest together.
- In a 29cm bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the egg, vanilla and lemon juice and mix for a few minutes until fully combined. Mix in the dry ingredients until you have a thick cookie paste.
- Use a dessert spoon to scoop the cookie dough and roll it into a ball in the palm of your hands. Place the dough balls onto your baking sheet and bake for around 12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies go golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- For the filling, whisk the cream up until nice and fluffy, then add the sugar and whisk again until fully combined. Finally, fold in the strawberries. Scoop a tablespoon (or two) onto a cookie base and press another cookie base onto it to form a sandwich. Serve with some cloudy lemonade.
Bake something special: