- My Account
DIY Gifts: Lavender Hearts
If you’re handy with a needle and thread, why not treat some lucky sew-n-sews to a soothingly scented homemade gift? Our lavender hearts make lovely gifts that can be hung around the house or popped into clothing drawers to keep their garments smelling fresh. They cost around £1.30 per heart, but we like to give them in groups so they can be used as a family.
- Cotton poplin fabric (£6/m)
- Dried lavender (£2.99/100g)
- Toy filling (£3.50/250g)
- Buttons (£4.50/jar)
Time Taken: 30 minutes Cost: approx. £1.30 per heart
- Draw out a heart pattern or download and print our Heart Template. Glue them to some card to make drawing around them easier.
- Fold your fabric in half with the right sides together and pin to secure. Draw around the heart template and cut each of the hearts out with pinking shears. Make sure to keep your two pieces of fabric together or your hearts might be different sizes. We used pins in each of the hearts to hold them together while we cut.
- Cut your ribbon to the desired length, fold in half and stitch or glue to secure.
- Sew your hearts together making sure the ribbon is stitched in too. Leave a small gap for filling the hearts.
- You can then either fill your hearts completely with dried lavender or use a small amount of toy stuffing to give the hearts more of a cushion feel.
- Sew up the small gap you left to fill and you’re done!