How To Make Reusable Fruit & Veg Bags
If you’re looking for ways to reduce your plastic use, use our step by step crochet instructions to create some compact, reusable and washable produce bags. Fair warning – this is a crochet how-to, so you’ll need a little know-how before you begin!
Terms we’ll be using:
Ch – Chain stitch
Dc – Double Crochet
Sl St – slip stitch
How to crochet a shopping bag
1. Magic ring, ch3. Dc13 into ring. Sl st into ch3 to finish round (14 stitches total)
2. Ch3, dc into same stitch, 2dc into each stich around. Sl st to top of ch3 to finish round. (28 stitches total)
3. *Ch4, sk1, sc1* 13 times. Ch2, sk1, dc into first stitch of the round (14 loops)
4. *ch4, sc in loop* 13 times. Ch2, dc into dc from last round (14 loops)
5. *ch6, sc in loop* 13 times. Ch3, tr into dc from last round (14 loops). Repeat this round 11 more times.
6. 2sc into same loop you just created then 5sc into each loop around. When you get back to your first loop 3sc to make a total of 5 in that loop. Sl st to first sc to finish round. (70sc)
7. Ch4 (counts as dc, ch1) *ch1, sk1, dc 2* 23 times, ch1 and join to 3rd chain from the beginning of the round.
8. Create a chain long enough to feed through the top of the bag or use some ribbon as a tie.
When it comes to cleaning, pop them in a bowl of warm soapy water and give them a gentle handwash before hanging them up to dry.