Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe
To taste it is to love it, so you’ve probably fallen for this sweet biscuity treasure already. But did you know it’s super easy to make at home? With a name we speculate probably has something to do with the rich flavours, millionaire’s shortbread is made from sweet, buttery shortbread, smothered in caramel, and topped off with a blanket of chocolate.
For the shortbread
- 250g plain flour
- 175g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 75g caster sugar
For the topping
- 150g butter
- 379g condensed milk (1 can)
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 350g dark chocolate, chopped
- Hazelnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2.
2. Line a 23cm/9in square cake tin with baking parchment.
3. Combine the flour and sugar in a mixing bowl, then rub in the butter. A cool room and cool hands are best for this. Alternatively you can use a food processor on a pulse setting.
4. When everything is combined, turn the mixture out into your lined cake tin and use a spoon to spread it evenly.
5. Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon. Make sure it reaches right into the corners and use your hand to pack the shortbread down in the tin.
6. Bake the shortbread for 25-30 minutes or until it takes on a light golden brown colour. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
7. To make the topping, place the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat. Stir until the butter has completely melted and the caramel is smooth.
8. Turn up the heat and stir frequently until the caramel boils, thickens and turns a golden-brown colour.
9. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then pour it over your cooled shortbread. The caramel must be completely cool before adding the chocolate topping.
10. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until completely smooth.
11. If you’re using a hazelnuts as part of your topping, scatter them over the top of the caramel.
12. Pour the melted chocolate over the top and leave to cool.
13. Once completely cooled, remove from the baking tin and cut into squares.