Nutty Blueberry Cake by Mason Cash
Honey and maple syrup sweeten the deal with this nutty sponge sensation, and a jam-marbled cream filling give it a picture perfect finish.
- 74g hazelnuts
- 50g ground almonds
- 250g unsalted butter
- 220g wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 120ml honey
- 120ml maple syrup
For the filling
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons blueberry jam
- 200g fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Toast hazelnuts in the oven for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from the oven once they start to change colour and rub off most of the skins.
- Using a food processor, grind the hazelnuts into a fine meal.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat into a smooth mixture.
- Divide the mixture between two greased cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cakes are risen and golden.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the cake tins and placing on a cooling rack.
- For the blueberry cream, whip the double cream to form soft peaks. Carefully stir in the jam to create a marbled effect.
- Spread half of the blueberry cream on top of one of the halves and assemble the cake.
- Cover the top with the remaining cream and decorate as desired with fresh blueberries.