Cosy and Comforting Vegan Stew
Vegan Stew Recipe
Hearty, healthy and good for you in so many ways. We’re loving the shift to cosier cooking that the new season brings like this easy to prep one pot vegan stew with its promise of coming home to heart-warming comfort food over the long winter months ahead.
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 230g potato, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 400g cooked haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 70g chopped kale
- 125g mushrooms
- 2 peppers
1. Place a mid-sized stock pot over a medium heat and add oil once it's hot.
2. Add the onions to the pot and stir occasionally until soft. Add the diced carrots, mushrooms, pepper and celery to the pot and stir, cooking until the celery has softened up, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the smoked paprika, thyme, and garlic to the pot (and chili flakes if you're using them) then stir for about a minute. Stir in the tomato paste until it's coating all of the vegetables.
4. Pop the potatoes and haricot beans into the pot and give it a stir to get a nice even coating on everything. Season with more salt and pepper, then add the tomatoes. Stir to combine before adding vegetable stock and stirring again.
5. Place a lid on the top and bring the pot to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and remove the lid. Leave to simmer for around 20 mins or until the potatoes are tender.
6. Add the kale, pushing it down into the mixture with your spoon, then place the lid on the pot again so the kale steams and wilts for about 30 seconds.
7. Nearly done now. Sample the stew and add further seasoning if needed, then serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.