Momtaz Makes Upcycled Candles
Perfect for adding a fun splash of colour to your home or making a thoughtful gift this Christmas, these DIY spotty candles couldn’t be easier, you can even get the kids involved. Momtaz is all about adding more colour into your life and feeling joy and we think these polka dot candles will do just that whether they’re lit or not! Have a look at our helpful video with the lady herself or see below for our step-by-step guide.
Momtaz Makes’ Upcycled Candles
What you need
- Pillar candle x 1
- Dunelm soft cloth x 1
- Paintbrush x 4
- Paint palette
- Silver glitter glue
- Acrylic paint in your choice of colours. I used Red, Yellow, Pink and Mint
- Pack of wet wipes
How to make
1. Start by wiping over the surface of your candle with a soft cloth to remove any grease and dust. If you have rubbing alcohol at home, you could also dip your cloth in that first. This will help to help remove any other residue, but this is optional.
2. Using clean paintbrushes and your paint palette or going straight from each tub, apply a few dots in each colour over the surface of the candle.
3. Wipe clean one of your brushes with a wet wipe, dip it in the silver glitter glue and add accents to some of the circles to give them a sparkling finish.
4. You can use acrylic paints on the outer surface of any candle but make sure you avoid the centre where the wick burns.
Momtaz is her name and colour is her superpower! Having previously worked as a professional journalist for over a decade, colour and craft expert Momtaz is now named as one of the Top 100 Influential Crafters whose aim is to bring more joy to your day. Having written several colourful craft books, founding London’s most successful Craft Nights and running numerous workshops to name just a few, we knew she was just the person to add a colourful spark to our Christmas Festival.