How To Create A Faux Flower Bouquet
Celebrating special occasions with the gift of flowers is a time-honoured tradition, but seeing those beautiful blooms go from extravagant to wilted is always a bit sad. Cue our obsession with faux flowers!
Artificial flowers are a great way to create the same gorgeous visual impact of a natural bouquet with a much longer lifespan and none of the mess, so we’re swapping our for-real flowers for faux instead. While we’re at it, we thought we’d learn how to create and wrap a bouquet too!
Whether it’s a rose-rich arrangement for Valentine’s Day, pretty peonies for Mother’s Day, lavish lilies to say good luck, or a twist of tulips to say thank you, knowing how to give your bunch a florist’s flourish will always stand you in good stead.
How to create a faux flower bouquet:
- Arrange the flowers into a bunch, adjusting the heights and shape until you’re happy with it from all angles.
- Trim the bottoms of the stems to a similar length using a pair of wire cutters.
- Secure the arrangement using a piece of string, and place to one side.
- Cut the paper into a rectangle and fold.
- Place the bouquet into the middle of the paper and wrap it around on both sides.
- Tie the paper in place with a piece of string.
- Cut another piece of paper and place the bouquet in the middle
- Wrap the paper around on both sides again, and secure this piece with a final piece of string.
And some final tips:
- If you’re not sure where to start, choose a flower for the centre and build the bouquet out from there.
- Faux flowers can sometimes be fused together in bunches or have foliage that sticks out in unwanted places, but they’re really easy to snip apart or remove with wire cutters.
- Vary your heights, and colours if you’re making a mixed bouquet.
- Turn the bouquet in your hand to see how the arrangement looks from all angles.
- Artificial flowers usually have a wire in the stem, so you can use this to bend the flower heads into position if needed. A few different angles will give your bouquet a more natural look.