- My Account
Learn how to Measure for Curtain Tracks and Poles
How to measure for Tracks & Poles
Measuring for tracks and poles
Tools you’ll need to measure for your curtain track or pole
How to measure for curtain poles
How to measure for bay window curtain poles
We have a range of bay poles ideal for 3 and 5 sided bays, and measuring for them uses the same steps above with just one difference. Rather than measuring the whole window in one go, you simply measure the width of each section and add them together plus an extra 40cm. To make things clearer to follow, we have included a helpful diagram that shows each step you need to follow.
- Decide whether you want your bay pole to fit inside or outside the recess and if you’d prefer it on the ceiling or wall.
- Measure the width of each section of the bay window with a metal measuring tape.
- Add all the measurements together, plus an additional 40cm to allow for curtain gathering, brackets and finials.
- If you want to hang your curtains outside the bay recess, you can add reverse-bending corner joints and install extra brackets (both sold separately). Remember to add 30cm of extra pole length to allow for curtain gathering
outside the bay recess.
How to measure for curtain tracks
- Decide if you are fitting to the wall or ceiling (if it’s the wall, decide inside or outside recess)
- Use a metal measuring tape to measure the width of the window and if you’re fitting outside the recess, add 10cm to either side. This allows for curtain gathering and the best coverage for blocking out unwanted light when using Blackout curtains.
How to measure for bay window tracks
Measuring for your bay window track uses the same simple steps as measuring for a non-bay tracks. The only difference is you start from the centre and allow your metal tape to bend at each corner. The diagrams below will help alongside our handy step-by-step guide to find your perfect fit.
- Decide whether you want your bay track to fit inside or outside the recess, and if you’d prefer it on the ceiling
or on the wall.
- Measure from the centre of the bay window, working out towards the end.
- Bend the measuring tape as if it were a track in front of each of the brackets and measure the length as shown by the dotted line on the diagram.
- If you want your curtains to sit outside of the bay recess, add 15cm on either end of the track to allow room gathering.