Blinds Buying Guide
Used alone or paired with curtains, blinds are a fantastic way to control light and maintain privacy in your home. With a wide choice of styles and finishes to cater to your needs and complement your decor, Dunelm blinds are the perfect finishing touch for your windows.
Venetian blinds are made from aluminium or wood and come in a range of sizes with slats of different widths. Thanks to tilting horizontal slats, your venetian blinds can be kept fully extended, using the adjustable angles of the slats to get the perfect balance of light in your room. All of our ready made venetian blinds include fitting instructions and a cord safety device.
A roller blind can be fully open, closed or partially extended, and are made from a single piece of fabric and thickened or treated to provide light control. Our ready-made roller blinds use a beaded or cordless wand mechanism for easy extension and are supplied with all fixtures for fitting along with a cord safety device and full installation instructions. Roller blinds are available in a wide range of colours and patterns.
Roman blinds are made from soft fabric that hangs in neat vertical folds when open, and hangs flat when fully extended. Dowels hold the shape of the folded fabric, with the cord mechanism attached to the dowels at the back of the fabric, hidden from sight.
Roller blind linings and coatings
The style of your blind is most likely to be determined by aesthetics, but the most practical element will be the kind of material used to create it, and how that material has been treated to make it effective for particular needs.
- A three layer finish provides total blackout
- Ideal for bedrooms, particularly children's bedrooms
- Reduces sleep disruption by keeping out unwanted light
- Extensive range of plains, textures and prints
- Available as a cordless Twist Safe roller blind
- A semi-transparent finish softens light
- Provides privacy during day light hours
- Suitable for all rooms
- Combine with curtains to create a day-to-night look
Ready made or Made To Measure – which is right for you?
There are a few questions that will help you make this choice:
- Are you windows an unusual size or shape?
- Do you want a particular look or style of blind?
- Will your budget allow for a bespoke blind solution?
Ready made blinds come in a range of sizes, but there is a limit to the dimensions available. While it may be simple to shorten the width and length of a ready made blind at home, it won't have the polished finish and tailored look of a bespoke blind. Ready made blinds also come in a great range of colours and patterns, and come complete with all the fixtures, fittings and comprehensive instructions needed to install them with ease.
If you have large or unusual windows a unique blind solution is the best option for a neat and professional look. Our Made To Measure service offers a wide choice of fabrics and finishing touches to help you to achieve the exact look you want for your room. If you decide a unique, made to order option is right for you, our Made To Measure blinds will be created to your exact specifications within 28 days, right here in the UK.
Measuring for blinds
Measuring Outer Recess
A quick video on how to measure your outer recess.
Measuring Inner Recess
A quick video on how to measure your inner recess.
Fitting your blinds
Things to consider before fitting your blind:
- How will the blind be fitted? Top fitted into the lintel or face fixed onto the window frame or wall (see special fixing requirements).
- Window handles – adequate space must be allowed between the blind and any internal window handles as these will affect how the blind will hang or operate.
- Inward opening windows – blinds are not ideal for this situation however, if blinds are required then fitting outside the recess is recommended.
- Blind drop – generally the drop on vertical and venetian blinds will need adjusting to ensure better operation and light control. All Dunelm aluminium and wood venetian blinds and vertical blinds can be cut to size and reduced in drop.
- Tile and dado rails – tiling into the recess is common particularly in kitchens and bathrooms. The use of a dado rail is also relatively commonplace in lounges, dining areas and bedrooms. These will affect the operation of the blind if they are not considered when measuring.
How to Fit Roller Blinds
How to Fit Venetian Blinds
How to Fit Vertical Blinds
All Dunelm ready made blinds and Made To Measure blinds are supplied with a child safety device. Please ensure you follow the instructions to fit the device, test the safety device regularly and retain the instructions. Replace the cord safety device if it becomes faulty. Our exclusive TwistSafe roller blinds have no chains or cords, and are recommended if you have any concerns about safety. For further information, please visit our Blind Safety Legislation page.
Typical examples of safety devices
These will break apart when undue pressure is applied on the operating chain, but after inspection, can be reconnected again. Chain sizes vary so you must use the chain-break connector which is designed to be used with your speciﬁc chain.
|Cord/Chain tidys & tensioners
These devices should be securely fixed to an adjacent surface so the cords and/or chains are held permanently taut by the device.
This must be securely ﬁxed to an adjacent surface out of the reach of children and at the minimum height specified in the instructions. The cord must be secured as shown after each and every operation of the blind. Always install the child safety device in accordance with the instructions, and replace if it becomes faulty.